Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Do you have any Irish in you? Would you like some?

Although it’s been almost a week since St. Patrick’s day, I thought I should give a shout out to two of my favourite Irish spots in Vancouver. Though I did go out for a few Guinness’s on the one day of the year where everyone and their dog is Irish, it was an early night due to the fact that we had to get up at the crack of dawn for our Portland trip the next day. This was probably for the best, seeing as we started drinking at 8 in the morning anyways. Or maybe we should have just stayed out and continued drinking? Now we’ll never know…

Anyways, since Irish accents are one of the three soothing sounds I like to hear in my ears, I’m always on the lookout for where this happens in our fine city. Look no further than Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug on Granville Street. If you’re looking for something a little less intense, and a little less Australian than Doolin's, wander across the street, find yourself a seat at the bar and have bartender Dave pour you the best Guinness Vancouver has to offer. Once you get into your second or third beer you will soon notice that you will shortly become a minority in this bar, because all of the Irish people in Vancouver? Yah they’re at Johnnie’s. You won’t hear any complaints from me about this, the Irish are a pretty great crowd, they just want to drink and be merry, tell you tales and by the end of the night, have drunken sing a longs. Where is the wrong here? There isn’t.
It can get pretty busy on a Saturday night, but you won’t even notice as you’ll have made a few new friends that would be more than happy to share their table with you. But probably not their Yorkies. Those things are delightful and delicious, and you will probably want an additional order just for yourself. Now you’re probably intrigued. Go there, order them and enjoy!

My second favourite spot is the Irish Heather in Gastown. Though it was a little bit more special back in the days of it’s former location, most especially the freezing back room that was host to an epic Bon Jovi “I’ll Be There for You” sing a long – this is a reoccurring theme at Irish establishments in case your were wondering. From here to Dublin – the new location is pretty great too.
Thought it’s not as full of Irish people, it does entice the likes of Bono & The Edge as I’ve been told by a friend of mine who had the luck and pleasure of crying in front of them there. I was also told to go there the last time U2 was in town, but apparently I was being a dumb bitch that day and did not listen. I could have been crying in from of them as well. REGRET.

I haven’t tried a lot of things on the menu, I’ve mainly focused on putting Guinness into my mouth, but what I have tried has been pretty tasty. Their pot pies are outstanding, I’m fairly certain the last time I was there everybody around me had one on their table. They also have quite an extensive list of whiskies, bourbons and the like if that’s what you’re into. The Shebeen Whiskey House across the alley would have much more information on this than I do; it’s not quite my forte. Except apparently when I’m in Ireland and I drink it by the very large glassfuls. Not one of my better ideas.

You can also enjoy live music here on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a co worker of mine plays there on Tuesday nights, sometimes with his very hot son. Tall, dark hair, blue eyes and a musician? Yuck right.
He’s pretty young, so it’s probably best to just go and admire him from afar, but trust me when I say your eyes will thank me. 
Slainte! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment